How We Make Money and Travel
mortgage note investing
We get asked all the time how we can afford to travel full time in an RV at our age. Most people assume we’re trust fund kids or that we’re living off our savings, but like many full time RVers in the 20 – 50 age bracket, we work on the road. Working remotely for a company or corporation is one way to earn a wage and RV or travel full time. We however, chose a different path and invest in real estate.
Back in 2012, Dennis and I decided we wanted to invest in real estate to help grow our net worth and hopefully create financial freedom that would allow us to live the location independent lifestyle we craved. At our first real estate association meeting, we learned about investing in mortgage notes, a lesser known investment strategy that seemed to check all the boxes for our financial and investment goals. So we took a leap of faith, bought a mentorship, and hit the ground running. The video below explains how our specific niche of real estate investing, mortgage note investing, allows us location independence, to be our own boss, and make money and travel and explains what it means to invest in mortgage notes.
working as a digital nomad
and rAs we mentioned in the video, anyone can invest in notes, however mortgage note investing is not for everyone. Being on entrepreneur is hard. Investing in real estate and running your own business takes a lot of time, dedication, and effort. Especially as you’re getting started. We created our note investing business, Seasoned Funding, LLC back in 2013 and it took around 4 years to really see it replace our income from our 9 to 5 jobs. It is a 100% not a get rich quick business. It’s a, work hard, learn a ton, take action, learn more, revise your business, and finally see the results from your efforts of years prior, kind-of-business.
We’re sharing note investing with you because it’s how we make money and travel and after all, that’s why you’re reading this post isn’t it? We absolutely love the lifestyle investing in notes has allowed us. The freedom to work wherever we want when we want, the opportunity to make money as we travel, the time freedom to create our own schedule and be our own boss. As long as we have internet and cell phone connection, we can work. It doesn’t hurt that we can help people in this line of business as well. It’s pretty amazing to be able to help people and make money while doing it!
There are plenty of other ways to make money and travel that we’ll be sharing in a series we’re calling Make Money and Travel where we share real stories of how other full time travelers are making money on the road. You’ll see unique methods of earning a remote income, including some of the additional sources of revenue we’ve added to our income beyond real estate including:
- Our Youtube channel and blog
- Partnerships with companies to help market their products, and
- Freelance writing for Millionacres, a Motley Fool Company (a GREAT resource for all things real estate and real estate investing)
- Writing on Medium
However, if you are looking for a possible way to replace or increase your current income, to be able to quit your job, have location independence and travel, or own your own business, mortgage note investing could be a great opportunity and solution for you! There is a lot to learn and as with anything, education is key.
Which is why my business partner and I created Note Investing Academy, an online education program to help people learn how to invest in notes. This program is everything we wish we had when we started learning about note investing back in 2013. Our course is extensive, covering absolutely everything you need to know about investing in real estate mortgage notes from the very basics, to the complex details of making offers, running numbers on an investment, and working through an investment successfully. The best part? It’s online, so you can learn from anywhere and at your own pace!
If you’re ready to join Note Investing Academy, use code “LIZ” to get $100 off!
free resources to learn more
Here are a few of our favorite free resources to help you better understand how this niche of investing works and gauge if investing in mortgage notes is the right fit for you.
- Note Investing Academy Blog has tons of topics on note investing covering a range of topics including:
- One of our most popular ones covers how Liz made double her normal salary in just 4 months!
- Why you can buy mortgage notes at a discount
- How to earn a profit with non-performing notes
- Where & how to find note sellers
- Any of the articles I’ve written on Millionacres, a Motley Fool Company like:
- The Diversified Mortgage Expo (DME) is an annual conference focused on bringing new and experienced note investors together to network, learn, and grow their note business.
- Note MBA: The first and #1 most listened to podcast for note investing.
- BiggerPockets: A social media platform made specifically for real estate investors. It’s not just a place to ask questions, connect and network, it’s also an incredible place to learn. They have podcasts, videos, blogs, and so much more about all things relating to real estate investing. One great blogger at Bigger Pockets is Dave Van Horn, who has extensive blog posts about investing in notes, although he specializes in the 2nd lien mortgage notes. Not sure what the heck second lien mortgage notes means? Read this article. If you are interested in any type of real estate investing at all, Bigger Pockets will be an incredible resource!
- There are dozens of books out there about note investing, but none of them are that great other than the age old classic, Invest in Debt by Jimmy Napier.
Liz & Dennis
We’re two travel-loving, real estate investing, foodies exploring North America as full-time RV’ers. This blog is where we share our lessons learned, tips and tricks, and favorite places to eat, see, and RV across North America! We hope it helps you find your wanderlust, plan and prepare for RV life, and get out on the road!
New Blog Posts
Save 15% on your annual membership!