The Additional Costs After Buying an RV
Okay, you did it! Or in this case, okay, WE did it. We bought our RV! The big expense is over (purchasing it out right or financing, either way it’s a pretty penny)…or not. After buying our RV we realized there were a TON of items we were unaware we needed in order to operate and live on the rig that ended up adding up to some major mula. The expenses continued to build once we got the rig mobile. Travel and parked are two very different “rig ready”. If we had attended an RV course, or opted to learn pretty much anything about operating an RV before we bought one, we probably would have been in a better situation, but being the complete newbies we were, we honestly had no idea all that was needed.
This video breaks down what we needed just to use the rig (that we hadn’t thought of), what we bought to make our fifth wheel comfortable to live on & organized, and what we needed to make it mobile. Hope you enjoy!
That’s a long list isn’t it…. Heres a break down of what we talked about in the video, click on any of the items to go directly to Amazon to purchase.
To Be Able to Live in the RV
- 50 amp Electric Cord/30 amp Electric Cord – $130.00 (We paid more because we bought it at La Mesa RV $165.00)
- Camco Lead Free 50′ Drinking Water Hose – $26.00 (We paid more because we bought it at La Mesa RV $45.00)
- 25′ Sewer Hose – $32.00
- Camco Wheel Chock (at least 2, 4 is best) – $5 per Chock, We Spent $24.00
- Camco Leveling Blocks– $27.00
- Scott Rapid Dissolve Toilet Paper (4 rolls) – $6.50
- Tool Set (Holesaw, Electric Drill, Multi-Tool, Caulk) – Price Varies Depending on What You Have, We Spent about $60.00
To Make it Mobile
- B & W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch – $819.00
- Fifth Wheel Lube Plate – $12.00
- Bottle Jack / Jumper Cables – $60.00
- WeBoost 4G Cell Booster – $500.00
- Verizon MiFi Jetpack – $85.00
- Non Slip Shelf Liners – $7.00
- Fabric Organizers (8 compartments) – $11.00 (set of 2)
Total: $1,490 (Your cost will be less if you have a Class A, Class C, or Class B Motorhome without a Tow Package)
To Make it Comfortable/Organized
- Splendide Vented Washer/Dryer – $1,155.00
- Dryer Vent Kit – $32.00
- Composting Toilet – $960.00
- Organizing Bins (for Fruit, Jackets, Keys) – $40.00
- Shoe Storage around bed – $40.00 (2)
- Heavy Duty Command Strips (for hanging pictures) – $32.00
- Command Strip Hooks (for towels, jewelry, etc.) – $40.00
- Utensil & Knife Organizer (Bed Bath & Beyond) – $49.00
- Slim Fit Recycling & Trash Can – $160.00
Total: $2,508 (Remember this could be more or less depending on your RV and how you want it to be organized, feel, or want/need to achieve that goal). Grand Total: $4,358.00
We’ll continue to add more posts in the about the other items we ended up purchasing for our RV, show you around on an RV tour, and the reason why we installed a composting toilet on our rig.